Friday, February 20, 2015

What you get used to

I was thinking about what I've grown accustomed to.
Here's a list of what I've adjusted to, hoping so hard that others never have to deal with this.

1.  Going to doctors. Frequently.
2.  Blood draw- used to needles, even able to look when the needles go into my veins.
3.  Reading blood analysis charts
4.  Lack of energy, fatigue.
5.  Change. I'm a much better adapter to change and surprises. I think.
6.  Visiting the hospital. Walking to the hospital. Waiting at the hospital.
7.  Talking about cancer.
8.  Explaining situations and avoiding topics.
9.  Scheduling juggling for appointments, lab tests, etc. Note- I always was good at time management though... just a different layer into the days.
10. Dietary changes: no sugar, etc.
11. Medication to address symptoms, over and over again.
12. Working to finesse a chemo brain into letting me chat with others, sometimes feels like I have ADD and simultaneously forgot half my vocabulary.

I've had a few days of quiet time with a patient husband and son. We enjoyed going out to a carnival with a few tickets a friend passed our way but by the time we got home, I went back to bed to rest and recover for hours. I started to get those heartburn pains which blow, I feel for those who have to deal with heartburn on a regular basis, it does sort of feel like a heart attack at first. Medication will be taken soon to help me out. It was nice to get out and about though. Enjoying the time with my family. Even those snuggle times with my sweet dog. Noticing her age... there were fireworks tonight and she didn't even blink twice. In the past, I would have been putting on her thundershirt and calming her shaking, trembling body. Poor thing's hearing is fading, sight as well... but she's still a perky and happy and a pretty easygoing loving dog...

Getting #8 done tomorrow and then 5 treatments next week and 2 the next and then a break for my poor body for a little while... anticipating some down time...

Found this study on chemo brain is just fascinating, really appreciated the references to qigong as a helpful tool to dealing with chemo... I agree.
http://www.curetoday.com/articles/ChemobrainIts-Real-Its-Complex-and-the-Science-Is-Still-Evolving

Thanks for keeping up with me on this journey...

Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment