Sunday, February 8, 2015

Dog and Hair and other mind meanderings

 My Dulcie dog is snoring next to me. I adore her. I did learn something though. I lied to myself, I lied to others. Dulcie is actually 14.5 years old, not 13 (I feel like I've lost 1.5 years of life with her) oops. I honestly knew this, I think. She's going to turn 15 right after we move back to Oregon. Oh boy.
Getting older is the pits sometimes, can't believe my girl is over 100 already. I'd love to get older though, wouldn't complain at all. Love life...

So, hair. It is growing out. I learned from many others who share their experiences that your bangs area is the slowest one to grow out... sigh. That's where all my grey is. Shall see.
Wig. I'm wearing it, still doesn't feel like me, still flops in my eye and makes me miss my curls...
I've talked with a few good friends who have honestly told me about when they quit wearing their wigs and went public. Personally, I know my hair is long enough now that I could be free of the wig. I know it. I'm just not ready for the shock I'd give my students.
1. Because it is so darn short
2. Because it is so darn grey
3. Because it is so darn straight
4. Because the darn chemo might make it fall out again after radiation...

Shall see.
My kiddo took a picture of it. (One friend took a weekly picture of her hair to see the progress of the grow out. It was interesting. Appreciate her trust and support...)
I know I need to wait 3-6 months after chemo before I can dye my hair... so says websites and such.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/using-hair-dye-after-chemo

This also was a little more helpful... more about natural hair dye: (I just want to be brown, no bleaching, etc... sure wouldn't mind trying out henna, hmm.)
http://www.herbatint.co.uk/herbatint/features/herbatint-article.php?id=50

I went to an organic shop and picked up henna hair dye and will try it out sometime. Talked with my oncologist and he said he didn't think I should waste money dyeing my hair since it will possibly fall out again with the two other rounds of chemo... sigh. Told me he was concerned about damaging my hair- (MORE than chemo has damaged my hair?!) Not like I'm bleaching it... ;)
Shall see.

I'm almost half way thru radiation. Day 15 on Monday. I can feel it. Honestly. In my chest it is like a little ball of pain. Hopefully that pain is all the cancer cells dying. I really appreciate the weekend. My oncologist prescribed me with three more medicines- one is acid reducer- returning to taking this after being free of it for 4 weeks. He said it is to protect my esophagus...  I somewhat find it funny that on the back of the box there a "poison" sign?!
Then he prescribed me with Sucrate gel that I'm supposed to take 1 hour before I eat- sigh... the timing of that couldn't be worse- shall see how I do- it is to coat my throat down thru my stomach to help me out if I get worse- don't have to take it yet... He also prescribed me this cough syrup called Comephen- there's codeine in the ding dong stuff, not at all excited. Plus sugar is part of the ingredients of the syrup. The coughing while teaching has sucked but I'm not certain it is bad enough for me to be on codeine! Shall see. 


Loved the weekend because I enjoyed wearing a hat the whole time vs a wig... freedom- a little bit.
Enjoyed hanging out with family and friends this weekend, grateful for the time AND energy. Also appreciating yoga on Saturday mornings, good to have the class to learn in and help my body heal in... amazing how much I've back slid physically compared to my time in yoga three years ago. Working on being very patient with my body as I take the class.

While I was browsing the web I learned more about nail care, good info... almost every one of my nails lifted/separated from the nail bed up to a certain point around the beginning of December. Painful, yes. Seemed to heal though (visible still yellow/blue/green, yuck) but this is good info since I have to deal with a little more chemo:
"For home care, patients with signs of infection in separated nails can soak their fingers or toes in a solution of white vinegar and water for 15 minutes every night. It kills the bacteria and dries the areas out." - http://www.webmd.com/ovarian-cancer/features/appearance-during-chemo?page=4

Well, thanks for journeying with me... time is starting to fly by as I realize we're moving home in 5 months. Wow.


2 comments:

  1. Glad your hair is coming back! Your school kids will accept you in any way, shape, or form because they appreciate your presence in their lives.

    ReplyDelete