Friday, August 15, 2014

Call me Lucky, well, not so much

In some ways I'd classify myself as quite lucky. I am in an incredibly happy marriage with a wonderful, kind, patient husband... I have a son who is hilarious, kind, sensitive, and sweet. I have a loving family who I'm in close touch with. I have fantastic friends. I have a job I love. I'm passionate about so many different subjects and love learning...
I unfortunately have a flaw. My body apparently invites cancer to nestle in. Seriously.
I am a two time cancer survivor. I battled cervical cancer in November '13 and breast cancer in March '14. Yes, within less than a year's time my incredible doctor on a followup appointment found a tiny lump. Both cancers were stage 1. Both cancer treatments included operations and radiation. So yes, a survivor. I wrote other posts about some of my experiences with the operations and radiation...
But then my doctor and I wanted confirmation that treatment was successful. So in August '14, I went for a PET scan, that's where they inject you with glucose mixed with radiation and it goes thru your body and lights up areas that might have cancer. So, I waited a week. Results came back in a bound notebook packed with colorful pictures and even an accompanying disc.
And I heard what I didn't want to hear. I was waiting for, you strong person, you beat the odds, you're clear. Instead I heard, "Oh no, something is going on with your lymph nodes. And look here, your lung is lit up here and here."
I put my head down on my doctor's desk, heart plummeting. I'd tried to be so positive...
The next day I went in for a lung biopsy. That is one stinking scary test. Scarier than CT, MRI, PET scan, radiation treatment, and a needle biopsy for my breast cancer, which I also had...
For a lung biopsy, you're laid down on a CT machine and told to hold still, for 45 minutes. Not only that, you're in and out of the CT machine with someone sticking a long needle into your side and then scanning to make sure the needle was in the right place, then another really long needle is inserted into the other needle and punched into your lung for little miniscule pieces to pull out. Of course you need to hold your breath, breathe carefully, and more as this happens. After that occurs you have to stay still for four hours in case your lung collapses or you bleed too much. I was a very good patient with no complications... Doctors usually do like me...
Two days later, today, my wonderful husband and I went to the appointment that revealed biopsy results. Upsetting results. Somehow, for the third time, I have another type of cancer. Lung cancer. It hasn't spread from one place to another, it is just another cancer. This time, unfortunately, it isn't Stage 1, it is Stage 3 because there is a growth not only on my lung but also on my lymph nodes near my heart...
Tonight we had the conversation I never wanted to have with my son. In the past we were able to talk with our son about how I had bad stuff in me that needed to be cut out. This time I blatently had to tell him about the cancer. What happened in the past, what was successful... and what we have to do in the future with the new lung cancer treatments (possible operation, chemotherapy, and radiation). My son's reactions were: "Mommy, I like your hair, I don't want you to lose it." "What do I tell people at school?" "What if I'm put on the spot with questions about you?" ""Am I allowed to use the word cancer?" My response about the hair was, "I love my hair too but I love you more and I want to try to be around living with you for a long time." Our response about what to tell others was "Adults might know but if people ask, you can just say that your mom had to have an operation and she's going to take a while to get better." He seems ok but we left the door open for any further questions. His next question was, "Ok mommy, so I heard about that part of the day, tell me about other parts of your day now..." Not just a cancer victim, but a mommy, I love that.
So, on to fight the perilous, exhausting fight again... not fun, not thrilled but don't want to leave this earth anytime soon. Love life too much...

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Debbie. I wish I had the perfect words to comfort you! Please know that I am constantly sending you healing prayers and thoughts! (And please ignore my user name! I made that years ago in a reading group on the Host and can't figure out how to change it! It isn't weed the plant!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LaSandra... Appreciate your positive support... Hugs your way! See Weed- might be a settings thing, I changed mine...

      Delete
  2. Don't have the words. Adding my anger to yours. Holding you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - you have my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer... Appreciate thoughts and prayers. Best...

      Delete
  4. I steeled myself to read this. Turns out, I wasn't steeled. I'm crying for you, with you, instead of you. Whichever one you want. Or, if you want, all of them. Mostly, just sending an endless flow of positive thoughts, healing thoughts, hugs and love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... appreciate positive and healing thoughts... hugs your way!

      Delete
  5. Painful, painful news. I admire your strength and determination. Okay what do you need us to do to help you fight this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive thoughts are good. I really hope that I'll be strong enough to meet you while you're in HK... Appreciate your support... :)

      Delete