Saturday, October 11, 2014

That question: What are good things about cancer? Chemotherapy?

Just can not fully smile at chemotherapy...
Every week I take a picture and look like this.
Friends told me it was my "determined" look... I'll take that.
Sounds better than grouchy, right?
Around 11 months ago, I was recovering from my radical hysterectomy and preparing for radiation. Look at me now. Darn cervical cancer leaped into my lung and lymph nodes. Crazy. I'm staying positive, adopting even more healthy practices, and appreciating life... I do consider myself a breast cancer survivor. Funny (not so much so) that my breast cancer March-May '14 feels more like a blip now that I'm dealing with chemo, etc.

A little bit ago a good friend asked me to reflect on cancer and what the positives were of having it. Honestly, cancer totally sucks. But I can try to find the 'silver linings' of cancer... I certainly appreciate life more. I've learned many new things. I learned about how to be a better friend, wife, mom and person. I learned how to prioritize my needs and celebrate success before I move to the next project. I learned how to give myself a break and appreciate myself. I learned about Qigong, mindfulness, pulling, and more healthy practices. I learned to be responsible for myself by creating an id tag with contact numbers and chemotherapy drugs listed on it so that if there is an emergency, I have it there ready to point at. I hope I'll continue growing as a person and survive for many many years to come without the need for my body to add any more cancer crisis situations in.

Last year in November when I was finishing my first experience with radiation treatment I began a list of positives dealing with radiation. I continued adding to that list of positives in May when I was getting radiation treatment for breast cancer. I tried to have a little humor and looked for the positives... I like looking over this list even though I dread dealing with radiation again after chemotherapy finishes this time. Shall see...
http://lifesjourneyinterrupted.blogspot.hk/2014/08/positives-about-radiation-list.html

I went in for my fourth chemotherapy session in the morning. 1/3 of the way through. I gained weight, again! Was so exciting, did a happy dance. My oncologist told me he liked my facial color and thought I was doing well, besides the side effects. But, I'm not enjoying chemotherapy, all three drugs go in again next week and I know that I've had a harder reaction with the three combined and that this week was really the peak of my recovery from that first round. I'm not thrilled to see how my body is freaking out with bloody noses, scalp shedding hair, nausea, crap immune system, and fatigue/weakness slowing me down. I do appreciate that I'm learning how to better listen to my body. That's a really good thing but honestly, I don't feel like I ever abused my body. I enjoyed exercise- especially dancing, ate mostly healthy (chocolate and sweets admitted), and have always been a pretty positive person... Hmm. Just not so lucky with TWO cancers that wreak havoc on my body.

Here's the beginning list of what are mostly positives about chemotherapy:
1. You can see an oncologist frequently and receive instant answers to questions.
2. You get 1:1 attention with nurses and more.
3. There are mostly good anti-nausea medications that help.
4. Sometimes you don't lose your appetite throughout the whole week.
5. You certainly have a chance to lose weight depending on medication and reactions...
6. New routines are adopted such as gargling, pulling, etc.
7. You become keenly self aware of your body and organized logging your medicine intake and reactions to chemotherapy.
8. You get new social resouces such as CancerLink here in Hong Kong.
9. Short hair revelations- can live with it and probably handle being bald.
10. You can play a guessing game about where the chemo will go into your hand each week. Sometimes there are some angles and different veins chosen!
11. You are forced to slow down, not a terrible thing to be given that time.
12. Sitting quietly can be peaceful.
13. You might find more interesting reading material and learn quite a bit about chemotherapy, drugs you're getting, and more.
14. There is an end in sight, it is possible to get through this, day by day.
15. Learn that you can ask for help and get it even from strangers if you faint on the MTR.
16. People in the chemotherapy room can empathize with your situation.
17. You can see yourself like a science experiment and try out multiple experiments to help heal yourself.
18. Learn about different friends strengths who can help out... and learn how to ask for help.
19. You value time with friends and family and learn again about prioritizing.
20. You feel no guilt when eating and prioritizing weight gain. *Funny to be excited about gaining weight!

That's the random mix I have so far on chemotherapy, it is possible to find positives, even if I'd never in a million years want anyone to deal with it themselves.
I'm grateful, growing, learning, and appreciating life... one day at a time. Thanks for journeying with me...

6 comments:

  1. Healing and positive thoughts being sent your way.
    I also think you become aware of how many people love you and wish the best for you - not that it is directly related to chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dianne. I did become aware even more so of the love and good wishes, it is a beautiful thing to realize how much support and positive energy is being sent my way... holds me up a little higher on hard days. Hugs your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Debbie,
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. It meant so much to me that you took the time to do so, especially after reading your story! OMG...I can't imagine going through one round of cancer, but three?? I've read through most of your posts, and found them to be informative and inspiring. I'm most in awe of how resilient and positive you have remained. I'm adding you to my blogroll so I can follow your journey. Sending positive thoughts and prayers from Virginia all the way to Hong Kong!! Stay positive. You can do this!!
    Sincerely,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon... it is a little crazy to be going through my third round... Appreciate you reading about my experiences and am glad you find them useful! I love helping others and have found that this blog has been really helpful. I'll be keeping up with your blog, of course, and still sending positive thoughts your way as well. Much thanks again, Debbie

      Delete
  4. Hi Debbie, I love your list. I read through it slowly, then read it again. At the very end you said, "I am grateful . . . ." Wow. Even in the struggle for your life you are grateful. You are already much bigger and more powerful than your enemy. Each day I envision you standing at your library door just as you did when I visited Bradbury two years ago. My mind holds you there, a picture of vibrant, exuberant, joyous, good health -- may my intention and those of others journey you back to that place. Much love and hope to you. XXXOOOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lenore, I think gratefulness has been a mantra that has resonated with this round for me. It helps me get thru the day when I can find the positives. Writing a gratitude journal from two days before diagnosis until now is quite enlightening to look through. Some days I can only find simple things but other days, I've appreciated how deep in gratitude I can go. I have so many wonderful memories of your visit, thank you for that image and intention... Love your way...

    ReplyDelete