Friday, October 3, 2014

Alopecia Thoughts

So.
Hair is starting to fall out more than I've noticed before. A friend warned me I was anticipating too quickly and that might be another week or so... but that perhaps I'd enjoy no shaving of legs, underarms, etc. as more hair falls out. In fact she pointed out how I'll soon realize how easy men have it when it comes to showers, etc... Ok, another silver lining to look for... Honestly, seeing my hair fall out is a sign that the chemo is working and my body isn't fighting it off... hopefully it is working to kill off the cancer. I'm probably going to get my hair shaved off soon. Annoying and slightly disturbing to have hair falling out rapidly.

Some have asked over the past month about our finances. This is a tough topic- quite awkward and uncomfortable for me personally. I have a few good friends who convinced me to be a little comfortable with asking... so this is for those who were wondering: Give Forward Fundraiser for Debbie *not necessary to participate, only for those who were thinking I needed to simply ask, wanted to do something for my family, etc...

Watched the show Red Band Society today. What bothered me? One boy getting chemo had these THICK eyebrows but now hair on his head... hmm. The patients all look so HEALTHY. They have such lovely rooms in the hospital... Hmm. But as my husband said, "Well Debbie, that apartment on Friends wasn't exactly realistic now was it?" Hmm. True. I did enjoy the simple storyline even though cancer sucks any way it is presented. Nice to see a few favorite actors and actresses in the show!
On to other stuff.

Eyebrows- so you lose them. I came across a video today that made me think, goodness I need to find transparency paper asap!! Not sure if I can with no school access but here's a generous blogger who has quite a strong opinion on cancer/life and her passions, inspiring...

So.
Hair.
Yes, a few friends thought I might escape the loss but I honestly can handle it either way. I know it will be hard. Even more so to lose my hair than cutting it short, going to thru surgeries, going thru radiation x 2, oh well. Part of life... what I'm concerned about is other reactions. Namely my son's... Others, they can get over it, get used to it. I'm human. I'm fighting a huge flaw right now and ready to survive as well as I can... but my kiddo... different matter. He made a beautiful birthday card for me and whispered when I received it, "Mommy, I put a secret message at the back for you." "Ok love"... Turn it over and he has written "I don't know what I would do without you." Sob. Choke. Sob. Hugs and thank yous for the pictures, refocus on the fun ideas he had to share and secret smiley faces he hid throughout the card for me... but seriously, did he read that somewhere? That's what my husband thinks. Seriously...  *Had a wonderful birthday which included family time, Skyping time with my wonderful parents, more family time, fun shopping time with a fellow birthday friend, new restaurant date night at Jamie Oliver's new restaurant nearby our apartment, home time with dog for a little bit and then viewing of the movie The Maze Runner. Not sure how I feel about that movie. Made me feel bad that I only read the first book... really enjoyed it but... will contemplate it for a while. In the midst of the day I also had a surprise chocolate cake delivery that had been carefully made by a beautiful friend who knew about all my food limits and was determined I'd have birthday cake... thank you for that surprise!! Delicious and good calories too! ;)

A few years ago I became obsessed about finding books for my library collection on loss, on cancer, and more... and then I ordered some brilliant picture books... and then read aloud a few to my son without completely remembering which one was which. I scarred him a little when I read aloud a few and I remember his look of reproach when I finished one and he said "Mommy, why in the world would you read this to me?" Couldn't just say "Empathy my darling..." but instead snuggled, talked about what upset him and moved on.

I had a few students really affected by cancer in the past, losing a loved one, classmate, and more. Heartwrenching for the community. I always received feedback from parents and special requests when they wanted the books about loss, cancer, and more. I was relieved to be able to accommodate requests. I've seen some brave authors in the past years write brilliant novels and picture books. But the one that stuck with me for years now was a book that inspired many of my students to grow their hair long and donate it to Locks of Love. I did it once myself...

So... books. That's what I LOVE talking about and I've barely mentioned them here... of course my Styling Librarian blog is where I pour out my soul on my love of books but.... here's thoughts about books...
Alopecia- why am I mentioning it? Because I noticed over and over this coming up as an "effect" of chemotherapy and before this I only equated it to the permanent situation some people live with... so...
The book that really stuck with me is a book by the brilliant author Margaret Peterson Haddix- I just love her books. Got to meet her around 10 years ago in a special visit and it was incredible, one of my author heroes. So... she wrote a book a while ago called Because of Anya. It is one of my favorite books to share. I would connect it to a number of other books that have touched me almost as deeply as Wonder by R.J. Palacio and it is about a girl who has alopecia- but more than that it is a gorgeous story wrapped up in empathy and caring for others.

Now. cancer books. You can find loads with a simple search in Goodreads - Cancer picture books - What have I appreciated in the past?

Nowhere Hair by Sue Glader - simple and lighthearted... but explains about chemotherapy in an appropriate way for children.


The Lemonade Club by Patricia Polacco - touching and beautiful book... as is any book by one of my favorite authors... quite recommended...


Death books- tough topic... there are so many more books beyond The Fall of Freddy the Leaf which was all there was besides one other touching book about death when I arrived at my old school 16 years ago... so here's what I appreciated:



The Scar
by Charlotte Moundlic - this one made both my son and I weep. It is beautiful thoughts on loss but not blatant...

Missing Mommy by Rebecca Cobb - touching on loss but uplifting...

Saying Goodbye to Lulu by Corinne Demas - about the loss of a dog but can actually transition to other losses appropriately and sometimes the way a child would connect to the topic in the first place.

Good for bringing up loss:

The Heart and the Bottle by Oliver Jeffers - some people say "weird, I don't get it" when they read this book but I read it and thought, here's an introduction to dealing with grief and loss...

I know there are many, many other books about cancer for children, chemotherapy, and more. These are just the ones I'd recommend for others and also ones I wouldn't hesitate picking up to share when it is the right time... Anyone have one they'd recommend?




No comments:

Post a Comment