Saturday, January 10, 2015

#16 check!!! Mentally preparing for radiation.

So ready to get going. Don't I look thrilled?
My poor skin... and eyebrows/eyelashes...
anticipating them growing back sooner than
later and skin returning to 41 year old self vs. 13 year old self.
I am so very happy and relieved to have #16 chemo session, round 4 session four DONE DONE DONE. Seriously. Next week I have the week off of treatment til Friday when I go into the hospital to get a new radiation "cast" and get a CAT scan done. Not fun. Third time, same place but at least they call me Debbie vs Deborah. Seriously, that really goes far with me. I really like the techs there. They are kind, patient, and try to communicate with me. I will have to see them for 6 weeks this time. Blech. I'll probably start the following Monday on the 19th, shall see. Depends on many factors. Hoping I can have an afternoon slot.
I have such high hopes about recovering from chemo for a little while... healthier nails and skin over a month's time, hair hopefully starts growing out more, etc... Let's not think about side effects from radiation for now, ok? I still have memories of burned skin and internal pain that aren't helpful for the present moment but I certainly have stuff to put on it and pain medication from past experience.
Sure, I have 2 more rounds of chemo to do in 7 weeks but they aren't every week, only twice... with 3 weeks in between. I can bear up and handle it...
I talked with my doctor today about a sore in my mouth (upper jaw, not at the tooth area but up further) that has been hurting quite a bit for 2 months. I've treated it with mouth wash and oil pulling twice a day so it is bearable. He checked it out and told me that I have a receding gumline up there which is a side effect of chemo. You can see the bone a tiny bit. LOVELY. That'll cost some money to fix and be painful sometime in the future... For now, no infection so "rinse rinse rinse" as he said. Not smart to deal with this with a dentist for the time being since I still have chemo coming and healing isn't good while on chemo for anything in the mouth.
I also broached the topic of going to a different radiologist since I think mine isn't such a wonderful human nor do I have as much confidence in him after his statement that chemotherapy doesn't work with my type of cancer. My oncologist talked me down off the ledge with his kind words. He said many things: "We don't want to go off course, I know this is what you need right now." "He is just covering himself." "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." "We've seen the test results, the chemotherapy has worked and you need radiation next." "He's best at what he does and has already taken care of you twice." Hmm. So, I'm getting over anger (I know it isn't healthy anyways) and refocusing on the fact that I don't have to see the radiologist much at all over this course of treatment even though it is 6 weeks. Once he analyzes and sets things up, it is up to the tech people there. And I like and trust them. A lot.
My son and I chatted about the radiation treatment and I asked him if he wanted to wait at the hospital sometimes on days he would normally ride the bus home with me after an after-school activity. He bluntly answered that he'd prefer to not be at the hospital. Love my kiddo. So glad that he communicates his comforts. (Grateful I have other ways for him to get home as well.)
The last round of chemo today was only one drug but getting it in initially wasn't fun. (Yes, when is chemo fun anyways? NEVER.) The nurse started on my left hand and couldn't get the needle in the vein properly (OW OW OW to a needle being twisted, turned and tipped while in my wrist) then she switched to the right hand, phew... no bruising afterwards from either. I really appreciate the nurse, she felt terrible that I was in any pain and so sweet... good to finish off this round with her, gentlest touch and great chatter as well.
My lovely friend who came to my treatment today was able to distract me well and we discussed our libraries, books, lesson ideas, life, etc... felt inspired and happy, plus we got to a bookstore which is a happy place for both of us.
Appreciated the work week. Projects and thinking and teaching and more. Told my acupuncturist on Thursday that I taught 7 classes that day and he was so puzzled. "I thought you were a librarian..." My response: "I'm a TEACHER librarian, I teach about literacy, the research process, and technology. I teach full time at a primary school with 700 students and enjoy every minute..." He asked further questions, nice to educate another person about teacher librarians and move them beyond the book reading/loaning, bon bon eating librarian assumption...
Other distractions recently...
Last weekend my family went and saw The Hobbit 3- enjoyed and good to finish the trilogy. This weekend we went to see The Night at the Museum 3- enjoyed but heart-broken thinking about seeing Robin Williams in one of his last roles.

My husband and I recently watched other movies, recommend both: (Title links just bring you to IMDB info page.)
First: a witty French flick, hilarious lines, we both laughed aloud and recommend... there was one flaw we thought but were able to look past it **Not for faint of heart at cultural misunderstandings and jokes, watch the trailer... we appreciated every bit but some people could be offended:


Second: What If - romantic drama- enjoyed it but a little cliche at the end... overall we enjoyed this one. I personally loved the art and animation connections.

So, there are two random movie recommendations... Hope everyone is having a wonderful beginning to their new year. Thanks for journeying with me...

8 comments:

  1. Now, I've read. Sometimes just reading makes me queasy and I don't know how you withstand it. I know I'm not supposed to say it, but you're amazing. You amaze ME. And I love, love, love, love, love you. It happens to be yoga time. Off to stand in (your) tree. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay here's a random movie recommendation: Birdman! Just came home from watching it. Absolutely brilliant! Preoccupying like a really good book. Lots of love ... enjoy your forthcoming break from treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I was just wondering about that movie, thank you... will put it on our list. :) Love your way as well...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for taking us on this journey with you Debbie. I think of you often every single day. Xena is sending doggy kisses and I am sending you hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you so much love I hope the Internet doesn't break! !! You are in my thoughts and prayers daily, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you Hillary... hugs your way... appreciate the thoughts and prayers... Loved the hedgehogs today, thanks.

      Delete