Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Immunotherapy and Changes

Looking forward to our family trip to the Philippines, countdown, less than two weeks. I know I've mentioned it before but I'm so grateful that we're living in Hong Kong where amazing, beautiful places in Asia are at our fingertips at a reasonable price. We are going to meet some good friends when we get to the Philippines and hope to see whale sharks while we are there... and possibly other adventures. I'll take things day by day and not push myself, happy for my son and husband to have the adventures and for me to live vicariously.
Mentally readying myself for treatment this Friday morning, happy my son's birthday is Saturday (and that I'm able to shift chemo to Friday so I can focus on my son), and excited about the possibility of returning to work soon- very carefully. I miss that purposeful time getting up in the morning, talking with students, teaching, managing the library and more. I always feel like a useful person, don't get me wrong, but actual work makes me quite fulfilled. Will continue to take things one day at a time, stay positive, and enjoy life...
I've missed art a little bit lately, so reprioritizing that so that I keep up that the outlet. Enjoying reading still but there are many books I didn't get to during this time... not much of a surprise, my "to read" pile is always growing. I've noticed that the day or two after chemo my brain cannot concentrate on reading books too well. So, audiobooks sometimes work, and sometimes tv shows are the way to go... riding the waves and keeping my brain working the best I can.

A few friends and family have mentioned I need to look into immunotherapy for treatment. It is a hopeful, promising practice.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/billionaire-doctor-fights-cancer-in-unconventional-way/
Forbes article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/12/07/here-is-what-60-minutes-didnt-tell-you-about-the-billionaire-who-is-trying-to-disrupt-cancer-care/?&_suid=14181084332750052996140671893954

From a hospital website: Examples of immunotherapy drugs include interferon, IL-2 and Ipilimumab, which can be used for treating melanoma; Herceptin which can be used for some breast cancers; Erbitux, Vectibix, and Avastin which can be used to treat colo-rectal cancers and others. There are many types of immunotherapies that work by a variety of mechanisms.

I'm already on Avastin as part of my chemo regimine, so I'm already receiving one immunotherapy drug- two doses left in the next round of four. http://www.avastin.com/patient - this is the drug that has that nosebleed side effect I've commented about before. I'm quite grateful that my oncologist prescribed this as part of my regimine.
Shall see what my oncologist believes is the best course of action for long term drug treatment after I'm finished with this round of chemo and radiation treatment. I have many thoughts on this to be honest and working to stay positive. Already on Tamoxifen for deterring breast cancer from returning...

Thank you for all the support - friends and family, so grateful. 

5 comments:

  1. the thing about waves is that they will carry you... sending love out to you a ton every day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your life in writing with all. I cherish reading every bit you write. I would love to get together for a cup of tea, but as my family doesn't travel much and the last time we got together was before the twins were born (over 16 1/2 years ago) I'm not sure how soon that may actually happen! I Just wanted you to know you are missed and thought of daily. Love, hugs and prayers being sent your way! 👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just means I should get back up to Alaska sooner than later for that cup of tea... Hugs your way, much love as well... appreciate the prayers!

      Delete
    2. Oohhh, yes! Maybe a visit to the Tea Co in downtown Anchorage if I can drive up there! (((HUGS)))
      Of course! It's a pleasure and honor to pray for you and your family. =)

      Delete