Monday, September 8, 2014

Ho Hum Hat, Hair Loss Thoughts

So, we have a sweet fourteen year old dog who I adore. I love snuggling with her. She's adorable. Seriously. She's been my constant companion but is honestly daddy's girl. I'm good with this. You see, I'm a bed hog. I don't want a loving dog sleeping between my legs, chin on my ankle or any other sort of endearment, I need my space... (My poor husband.) And so... she knows she can snuggle with AH (Amazing Husband) any old time she wishes, just as long as she shifts a little when I'm around.
Why do I bring her up? Because she's calmed me this past week. Snuggled. Watched over me. And been the sweetest thing... Quite grateful.
Here's the look she gave me most of the time... 
'Are you going to pet me? Notice me, I'm right here!'
So, thinking about losing my hair totally blows. I've been appreciating it every day for years... Sure, I hated those curls for a number of years. Especially during my afro hair stage in middle school... But for years now, I love these frizzy, hard to control, boinging curls... sigh. So, I'm approaching the next round of this fight carefully. I'm working on my food regimine with a focus on gaining a little more weight. Enjoying the opportunity to have some healthy walking every day... and thinking about how to deal with hair loss. Now, I know, I'm not finding out my chemotherapy protocol yet but I am trying to be realistic here... It is more than likely that I'll lose the hair. (Not to mention my eyebrows and eyelashes, yikes!!)

A lovely friend shared with me a hat that she thought worked well during her chemo treatment... got me on a mission. A few days later I found a hat that could cover my head... found two actually. And a scarf... Thank goodness I found them when I was taking a walk with a friend so I could get her opinion on them, there were so many choices in the market we were at! I was a little overwhelmed but successfully chose two.

So my dog. Why did I bring her up? Because she barks at people wearing a hat. She barked at me ages ago when I came into the house wearing a hat and then quickly stopped... so I thought I'd better wear the hat for a day. For myself to see if I could handle it... for my sweet dog so she sees me wearing the hat before I really have to wear it. And also for my son, so that seeing me in a hat or other head covering becomes a little more natural before I deal with chemo side effects more drastically. 

Wearing a hat is hot. Especially in Hong Kong where the temperature is in the 90's plus HUMID. I feel like I'm hiding underneath it. But kiddo and dog didn't even blink twice at me wearing a hat. It was helpful a little bit with the sun glare but overall, meh, ho hum hat. Not so excited about that... Goodness knows how wearing a wig would feel. I'm looking into it all now though so that I can feel like I'm taking control, addressing what I can vs. feeling angst over the unknown.

My surgeon took off two of the three bandages on me today. It was freeing and honestly a little scary. He didn't want me to put on steri-strips to protect the skin while it healed which I had to do after the lumpectomy/lymph node check during round two of operations/fighting cancer. Odd to have someone who simply says, you're healing, looks healthy and fine. I told him about some of the side effects I've been dealing with and learned that I'm normal. I'll take normal I guess. He offered me cough suppressant but I turned him down. He offered me anti-inflammatory but I turned him down. Pain isn't too bad and the cough isn't keeping me up at night. The less medication I have to put in my body, the better. I'll see him again in another week, that's when he'll remove three sutures and the final bandage. 

I received more lab test results from him and it really does look like this third round of fighting cancer is actually NOT LUNG CANCER but instead another round of fighting cervical cancer that bounced (my word choice) into my lung and lymph nodes. Officially, I'm expecting my oncologist to tell me in two days that I have metastatic cervical cancer in my lungs. Meh. When I read about metastatic cancer, I became quite concerned about my prognosis. Will I live more than 5 years? Can I beat this? What will my quality of life be? My doctor has calmly walked me through things so far... Accepting that I need to deal with this day by day. Here's a little bit about metastasis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastasis - Yup. I referenced to Wikipedia... bet my librarian friends are laughing... But it is in normal people speak vs. so many of the other sites I've researched and read!
So, I'm concerned about how well radiation will kill these cancer cells vs. what my oncologist was happy about before with the lung cancer prognosis... and how well chemotherapy will help... and which type of chemotherapy will be prescribed... so fixating on wearing a hat- a good distraction.

It was a wonderful day today. I Skyped with one of my best friends, spent time with my sweet son and took a great walk with him, and also chatted for a while with my wonderful Rabbi who is introducing me to someone who might teach about Qigong, interesting practice. I chatted with my life coach tonight which always feels like an inspiring blessing. Plus my son gave me a double high five for getting all three balls in the breathing practice tool up simultaneously. I was proud of myself too. He said I need to practice more though so it becomes consistent. (Love that my kiddo is finding goals for me.)

Me in the slow hot elevator at the beginning of my wandering about day. 
Cute enough hat. It'll do. 



14 comments:

  1. well, let's just get the easy one out of the way: you look adorable in that hat!

    ok, forget the hard ones today. I don't even know what to say to the hard ones. Sending you HUGE hugs as always. Hope against all possible odds that two days down the road prove you wrong. Understatement, Debbie. UNDERSTATEMENT. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read these updates Debbie I continue to be amazed at your attitude. Like Gae I am sending you multiple hugs and love...lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Debbie- you've got a lot...and I do mean A LOT of folks in this big 'ole world who nothing but respect, admiration, and love for you. Folks who are constantly sending you loving hugs and healing thoughts and prayers your way. I'm just one of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have to carry one of those spanish lace folding fans to cool yourself while wearing the hat! I've decided to view the not lung cancer news sideways ... as good news. The mettastatastatsistectat is so unpronouncable I will have to squint at it for a while. And I hope you realise you are inspiring many people to by your constant, life-affirming outlook. As is your lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... Hah... carrying around one of those fans would be useful. Sideways is certainly a good way to look at it... I'm trying. Thank you... Hoping to meet you this weekend... depends on my energy. :)

      Delete
  5. You're a beautiful woman in a hat. You're a beautiful woman without a hat. You're a beautiful woman inside and out. Chemotherapy may eventually take away your hair, but it cannot take away your beauty. Ever. BIG HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I typed a comment and it went away! I wish you weren't going through all of this, I am an oncology nurse and am a part of people's lives in times like this and know (second hand) how difficult it is. It is doubly hard seeing friends go through it. Hugs, and prayers, and positive thoughts all being sent your way. Can I share your blog with people? It's so very good and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... Happy for your to share. It is public. I do well when I read other people's reflections on their pages, etc...

      Delete
  7. You are beautiful and amazing with or without a hat. And gracious and lovely. I'm sure it's all overwhelming and exhausting as well. But the love of Doug, Declan, Dulcie, the rest of your family, and all of us, must be powerful. Feel that power and know that you will be well! Huge hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy... feeling the power, grateful... hugs your way.

      Delete