Saturday, April 11, 2015

Reluctantly returning to chemo

Thanks Megan for joining in on our Bali adventure! So grateful...
Knew it was coming. Doesn't soften the blow though mentally I guess. I'm not worried about these last two rounds of chemo. I know what to expect, what is coming, etc. I'm just not looking forward to the experience for these last two times. It feels like I'm signed up for two more rounds of poisonous torture that must occur. I probably have one more week before the first round of chemo goes in. Looking into local hospital information still and also I need to talk with my administration before I can have an official appointment.

I know I'm going to lose my hair again. Not going to shave it off this time though. Will just deal. I'm not thrilled by this and am honestly quite concerned about what to do since I'll be working full-time during the last two rounds but shall play it by ear. My principal has given me permission to wear "hats" to work, probably will go with that. I'll transition from headbands that I'll wear for the next few weeks to hats. Don't want to go back to wearing a wig.
Learned about something interesting on a blog I follow today about a castor oil combo you can use to help your hair grow, support your skin/scalp's health. Shall look into it further when necessary.
http://wellnessmama.com/35706/castor-oil-hair/

Have had chats with my husband and son today about the information my oncologist shared earlier.
My oncologist said that it would be best if I continued with the same chemo combination for the last two rounds/doses... My kiddo was not thrilled to know that I'd have more chemo. I think he was watching my hair grow out and told himself that I was getting better. We talked for quite a while about how the medication would have the side effects we don't like/enjoy but that the hope is to get rid of cancer cells and have me around for a long time. He's accepted it and knows the door is open for more conversations. Never fun when tears come to my kiddo's eyes. My husband is stoic and there with me every step of the way. He also just got through another scuba certification course! So proud of him...

We had a fantastic family trip to Bali, not everything went as planned, but we enjoyed time together, time with our friend Megan, and many adventures. I'll share those on my Styling Librarian blog. Often it was way too hot for me but that wasn't too big of a surprise since I prefer happy-medium weather. I'm starting to think about moving back to Oregon more now. Mentally packing, picking what I will/won't need, and thinking about what we can ship ahead of time. When we move, we're not bringing back any furniture or anything like that, just 2-3 large suitcases each when we fly. I think the largest thing we'll have is our Dulcie dog's carrier. Will see about that. It was wonderful to see her after two weeks away, she's such a sweet good dog.

Shall see what happens in the next few months... grateful for my increased strength and appreciating the days my brain is sharp... will be especially patient with myself the next month and a half. Surprising how fast time has flown this year already. I look forward to the last 11 weeks of work. Feel lucky to be supported at work, with friends, and home as well...

Thanks for journeying with me...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    You know I am sending strength and patience your way. You knew this was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier. Accept that feeling and start pulling out all your best tools. If you need to talk, let me know. I am here to help you through this! Hugs and prayers! Go fight this sucky tumor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. Exactly, accepting that feeling and refocusing on having energy for this. Not going to worry about things I can't control. Trying to let go of all worries. Reading a brilliant book called Dying to me Be by Anita Moorjani. Feeling inspired. Enjoying thoroughly.

      Delete
  2. Here is hoping that your break with family, fresh food, clean air and water and down time has allowed your body to rebuild its strength for this next round.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope so! I did gain a little weight on the trip, hooray to that... :)

      Delete